Edmond, OK – https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricktbaker/
Highly motivated and detail-oriented Senior DevOps Engineer with 20 years experience in software development and system administration along with 10 years experience in cloud services, and automation. Proficient in critical analysis of business requirements, adept at designing and maintaining solutions for organizational efficiency, productivity, and profitability. Strong leadership skills with a proven track record converting requirements from business managers, engineers, and marketing staff into cost-effective, on-time, maintainable solutions. Excellent work ethic with a commendable track record of dependability. Automation Evangelist focused on streamlining all processes from infrastructure setup to application deployment.
KEY TECHNICAL SKILLS
AWS, Docker, Terraform, Ansible, Continuous Integration, Git, PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python, Bash, Node, Linux, Apache, Nginx, Redis, Mysql, Mongo, MemCache.
Contract DevOps Engineer, Dascena ⧫ San Francisco, CA 2017 – Present
- Enforce and oversee in recreating the entire AWS setup to be HIPAA-compliant.
- Utilize a combination of Terraform and Ansible to create multiple VPCs, subnets, and servers to serve multiple clients in a secure and compliant fashion.
- Implemented a fully automated distributed monitoring system using Icinga2.
- Coordinate with potential clients, complete technology forms to provide details on security protocols and procedures in a HIPAA-compliant fashion.
- Working with dev team to transition from a manual deployment process of setting up multiple servers per client to an automated process using tools such as Jenkins and Ansible.
- Serve as a technical expert for security guidelines, development, verification, configuration management, and quality assurance.
- Mentor staff while troubleshooting, analyzing, and supplying solutions for identified issues by the team and clients.
- Analyze competing priorities, financial constraints, and schedule considerations to ensure successful project outcomes.
Lead DevOps Engineer, QuiBids ⧫ Oklahoma City, OK 2014 – Present
- Manage and guide a team of developers while creating high availability and secure applications in the e-commerce marketplace, including application development, deployment, server setup, and management within Amazon Web Services.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership in planning, development, management, and monitoring in AWS environment.
- Docker implementation for several key systems for easy deployment through the dev-production pipeline.
- Create Dev/QA Docker environments for consistent development to production applications.
- Continuous Integration for all company applications.
- Developed an auction system handling thousands of requests per second.
- Mobile application development using Ionic Framework,
VP of Engineering, GolfMatch, Inc. ⧫ New York, NY 2015 – 2017
- Created an API backend serving requests from both a web front end and iOS/Android mobile devices.
- Lead in transitioning to a centralized AWS setup, decreasing costs and improving reliability.
- Enhanced operations using MEAN Stack development within a custom Docker setup and continuous integration.
- Led in exceeding satisfaction rating goals for application users and ensuring a high rating from mobile and desktop users.
- Established a modern system to gain intelligence from high-volume logs from multiple sources to identify issues.
- Served as a liaison between business processes. Pioneered proactive detection and instant correction of problems.
Senior Application Developer, QuiBids ⧫ Oklahoma City, OK 2011 – 2014
- Managed and guided a small team of developers and led in the overall design and technologies used for company applications.
- Planned team projects in accordance with business development deadlines.
- Creating High availability and secure applications in the e-commerce market.
- Fully responsible for diagnosing and correcting site outages and problems.
- Served as a point of contact for application planning, development of projects, and identification of project risks.
- Headed in optimizing applications to perform under high traffic volumes, utilizing advanced caching technologies.
- Duties included: leveraging project outcomes and completing multiple projects while ensuring timely delivery.
Senior Software Developer, TechTell ⧫ Elma, WA 2004 – 2011
- Productively contributed and played an integral role in enhancing effectiveness and maximizing revenues—developed and configured customized software and maintained servers for diverse clients to ensure business stability and profitability.
- Interacted with clients to ensure quality projects. Maintained and secured Linux servers, responsible for POP3, IMAP, HTTP, SSH, DHCP, Sendmail, Postfix, MySQL, DNS and spam filtering—ensuring smooth functional servers at all times.
- Led in providing training to staff on effective use of diverse software, ensuring successful outcomes.
- Monitored service software using Nagios and Mon.
- Maintained client/MySQL servers, including optimizing and replication.
- Involved in the development of change requests.
- Participated in design, user meetings, and unit/system testing.
- Demonstrated ability to meet with potential client users and managers demonstrating application functionality.
Software Developer, Techline ⧫ Aberdeen, WA 1999 – 2004
- Developed and maintained the Company’s website that enhanced worth and maximized presence.
- Wrote diverse scripts using Bash and Perl. Provided outstanding leadership in developing, managing, and automating daily tasks.
- Developed customized software using Perl, PHP, and Bash transferring a Windows-based billing system with over 5,000 customer records into an efficient Modernbill. Provided training and led the maintenance of Modernbill.
- Ensured thorough and timely testing of system changes.
- Developed and maintained software for company’s ISP customer services, such as: webmail, classifieds, account activity, and chat rooms using Perl, PHP, and MySQL.
- Maintained Windows workstations and ensured enhanced efficiency and functionality. Assisted with dial-up client access, maintained a Radius server, Postmasters, modem banks, and Cisco Routers, as well as Linux servers.
- Conducted ongoing analysis to evaluate the efficiency, quality, growth, and productivity of business operations.
- Established an ability to provide excellence in requirements, design, programming, and problem solving skills.
- Provided leadership in ensuring and getting the projects meet all specifications while complying with all procedures.